Working the Shot
The Koi Pond
Composition can make or break a photograph. Using different aesthetic techniques can make photographs much more intriguing and provide different perspectives to what the naked eye typically sees. Ever since I visited High Point for the first time, I have always thought the koi pond behind Roberts Hall was beautiful. I decided this was the perfect object to shoot for my blog; the snow was just the icing on top of the cake.
Close Up
For this shot, I decided to take a close up of the water in the pond. Shooting this close allows the viewer to truly see the detail of the object. In this photo, you can really see the water cascading over the wall and the bubbles floating on the surface.
Depth
This photograph is a good example of depth. The water in the pond is very close to the lens, and you can see that the pond extends beyond this initial spot. It is also established that the buildings and trees are far in the background behind the pond.
Framing
This shot is probably my favorite of all the photographs I took. The archway is unique and perfectly encapsulates the koi pond.
Balance
Although it could be more even, this photograph displays a sense of balance. Roberts Hall runs parallel to the pond, and the windows are the same on both sides of the building.
Lines
I decided to use the concept of lines with this shot. The lines between the bricks and the edges of the pond draw the viewer's eye around, showing that the pond curves around rather than being straight and flat.
Comments
Post a Comment